Children and Family Ministry Assistant – (part-time)
Communications Leader –
Associate Pastor of Discipleship –
Founded in 1720, the Allentown Presbyterian Church (APC) is a church steeped in history with a vision for the future. For close to 300 years, APC has served as a spiritual hub for the Allentown community, and we are now enjoying unprecedented regional growth with more than 350 people attending worship services each Sunday. Our multi-generational congregation is actively engaged in a wide range of ministries and missions which give everyone a place to fit in and grow their relationship with Jesus Christ.
The primary role of the Associate Pastor for Discipleship at APC is to foster the spiritual growth of the body of believers, intentionally encouraging discipleship throughout the entire church family with particular focus on adults.
This position is an ordained position in the PC(USA) and as such, the candidate would have to either be ordained or be approved to be ordained in the PC(USA). It is a full time (40 hour/week) position.
- Adult Discipleship: Advance adult discipleship and development of lay leadership for adult ministries from within the congregation.
Spiritual Growth – Promote a church-wide culture that: (a) encourages people to move into relationships of authentic Christian community; (b) encourages people to move toward deeper levels of intimacy with Christ; and (c) encourages a better understanding and knowledge of the Scriptures.
Curriculum – Oversee the quality and content of adult curriculum. Act as point of contact for the men’s, women’s and senior adult ministry directors/teachers and assist with communication, training and teaching. Facilitate in a way that connects with a wide range of people (age, gender, disciples, non-believers, ethnicity, etc.).
Leadership Development – Develop and oversee a systematic discipleship ministry that helps people grow into spiritual maturity which intentionally and strategically produces new leaders.
Cultivate Small Groups – Launch, oversee, and equip small groups of the church; moving the small group ministry from only attracting the already churched to being a significant front door of the church for newcomers. Develop and coordinate opportunities for occasional educational leadership development, and spiritual formational offerings. Assist ministry leaders with communication, training, and teaching as required.
Teaching-Regularly teach in adult classes both on Sunday and mid-week.
- Preaching/Worship Leading
Preaching-Provide regular preaching (12-18 times/year).
Leading Worship-Lead other aspects of worship on a weekly basis
Developing Worship Themes-Assist the Senior Pastor and others in developing the sermon calendar, suggest and develop series themes, and brainstorm creative elements to further the theme.
Worship Planning-On the weeks you are scheduled to preach, coordinate with the Director of Worship and Music.
Communication-Be available for other speaking tasks.
- Pastoral Care
Pastoral Care-Assist in providing pastoral care to the congregation. Be available for spiritual counseling, prayer and guidance of individuals and families. Effectively refer to professionals as needed while maintaining a pastoral relationship.
- Other Possible Responsibilities
Assimilation – Assist and provide guidance as needed to assimilation/hospitality team to create opportunities for new members to get engaged and become integrated into the life of the church and established ministries.
Local Mission – Integrate congregational involvement/discipleship through development of strong local mission programs that invite participation and leadership from within the congregation.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lizzy at (609) 259-7289 for more information.
Under the supervision of the Director of Children and Family Ministry, the Children and Family Ministry Assistant [CFMA] provides support to the Children and Family Ministry of APC. The position will help our youngest disciples to grow toward becoming fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ. The CFMA will work primarily with our mid-week ROCK program and Sunday morning Sunday School. The position includes planning, working directly with the children, and working directly with the Director of Children and Family Ministry. The position will require up to 15 hours/week but, with seasonal fluctuations in the program, some weeks will require more time and some will require less.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
R.O.C.K.: ROCK, the 2 ½ hour mid-week program for children in 3rd through 5th grade, includes times of games, Bible study, crafts, dinner, and Choir or Caring Kids time. The Children and Family Ministry Assistant will assist with overall Session planning, coordinate the Bible study component, and plan and execute the Caring Kids (service) weekly component.
- Initiate session planning with Director
- Host / Co-host weekly program gathering **
- Lead / Coordinate Leaders for weekly Bible study
- Plan / Execute Caring Kids weekly program**
- Plan kid-appropriate “Caring” activities (local, global)
- Coordinate / Develop volunteers
- Develop a process for personal Kid-Connections and Family Outreach
- Program hours: 5 – 7 hours per week for prep and execution
SUNDAY SCHOOL: The APC elementary Sunday School ministers to children in Pre-K (4 yrs old) through 5th Grade.
- Assist the Director with curriculum review/assessment
- Assist Director on Sunday mornings
- Lead / Participate in Large Group openings
- Develop a process for personal Kid-Connections and Family Outreach
- Program hours: 2-3 hours weekly, prep and execution
WORSHIP: Give Children’s Messages twice per month (or as needed)
- 4 hrs per month
MEETINGS: Meet bi-weekly with Director for Planning / Visioning
- 2 hrs bi-weekly
VBS: Vacation Bible School
- Manage the volunteer recruitment process for VBS
- Assist Director, as needed
- Complete administrative assignments on an as needed basis.
- Participate in Children and Family events (such as, FFG, Advent Village, ROCK musical, Church picnic, Trenton Thunder game, etc.)
- Committed follower of Jesus
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in education or work with children
- Strong skills with organization and interaction with children and their families
- Experience in religious education
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or call Maureen at (609) 259-7289 for more information.
Allentown Presbyterian Church is a vibrant community of faith located in central New Jersey. As the Communications Leader you will lead and execute church-wide marketing and communications initiatives. You will be responsible for the marketing and communication of the church’s brand and message through various media to ensure accurate, creative, and consistent tone. You will also work in collaboration with the senior pastor and department heads/ministry leaders to develop a comprehensive communications strategy, which includes marketing/communications for PR, content marketing, digital marketing, live streaming worship services, social media, electronic newsletters, and print materials. The successful candidate for this role will be an expert at capturing the life-changing stories happening within the church and in the lives of APC attendees and create multiple mediums to communicate these stories. This is a part time position (25 hours including Sunday mornings).
- Serve as the primary brand advocate by crafting the public image of the church both internally and externally.
- Develop the communication strategy including our website, social media, email campaigns, video, slides, bulletins, and other print materials.
- Direct, coordinate, and oversee the production of the Sunday online worship service.
- Collaborating with the Pastor and ministry leaders about upcoming message series and major events or programs.
- Create, organize, plan and implement effective communications messages and strategies to church and community audiences. The individual will support church and ministry leaders in conveying their vision and communications priorities to appropriate audiences.
- Write and edit communication messages for use in various mediums and audiences.
- Actively search for stories of life-change within the church. Develop ways to creatively communicate those stories via video, interviews, newsletter, social media, etc.
- Bachelors in Communications, Marketing or related field
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience in marketing, advertising, internal/external communication, media, and public relations, whether within a business, church, non-profit, or other setting.
- Proven ability to produce high-quality video presentations.
- Experience producing live streaming events is strongly preferred.
- Proven experience in team-building, creative thinking, systems management, and problem-solving is required.
- Exceptional technical skills in written and oral communication, graphic design, web, and multimedia including experience with the most current software tools available in the marketplace
- Experience managing social media and website content and related analytics.
This is a 25 hour/week job including working Sunday mornings. Hours and days to be negotiated.
Two weeks paid vacation
Send your resume and cover letter to APCCareers1720@gmail.com