Children and Family Ministry Assistant – (Part time)
Youth Band/Worship Leader –
Associate Pastor of Discipleship –
Founded in 1720, the Allentown Presbyterian Church (APC) is a church steeped in history with a vision for the future. For close to 300 years, APC has served as a spiritual hub for the Allentown community, and we are now enjoying unprecedented regional growth with more than 350 people attending worship services each Sunday. Our multi-generational congregation is actively engaged in a wide range of ministries and missions which give everyone a place to fit in and grow their relationship with Jesus Christ.
The primary role of the Associate Pastor for Discipleship at APC is to foster the spiritual growth of the body of believers, intentionally encouraging discipleship throughout the entire church family with particular focus on adults.
This position is an ordained position in the PC(USA) and as such, the candidate would have to either be ordained or be approved to be ordained in the PC(USA). It is a full time (40 hour/week) position.
- Adult Discipleship: Advance adult discipleship and development of lay leadership for adult ministries from within the congregation.
Spiritual Growth – Promote a church-wide culture that: (a) encourages people to move into relationships of authentic Christian community; (b) encourages people to move toward deeper levels of intimacy with Christ; and (c) encourages a better understanding and knowledge of the Scriptures.
Curriculum – Oversee the quality and content of adult curriculum. Act as point of contact for the men’s, women’s and senior adult ministry directors/teachers and assist with communication, training and teaching. Facilitate in a way that connects with a wide range of people (age, gender, disciples, non-believers, ethnicity, etc.).
Leadership Development – Develop and oversee a systematic discipleship ministry that helps people grow into spiritual maturity which intentionally and strategically produces new leaders.
Cultivate Small Groups – Launch, oversee, and equip small groups of the church; moving the small group ministry from only attracting the already churched to being a significant front door of the church for newcomers. Develop and coordinate opportunities for occasional educational leadership development, and spiritual formational offerings. Assist ministry leaders with communication, training, and teaching as required.
Teaching-Regularly teach in adult classes both on Sunday and mid-week.
- Preaching/Worship Leading
Preaching-Provide regular preaching (12-18 times/year).
Leading Worship-Lead other aspects of worship on a weekly basis
Developing Worship Themes-Assist the Senior Pastor and others in developing the sermon calendar, suggest and develop series themes, and brainstorm creative elements to further the theme.
Worship Planning-On the weeks you are scheduled to preach, coordinate with the Director of Worship and Music.
Communication-Be available for other speaking tasks.
- Pastoral Care
Pastoral Care-Assist in providing pastoral care to the congregation. Be available for spiritual counseling, prayer and guidance of individuals and families. Effectively refer to professionals as needed while maintaining a pastoral relationship.
- Other Possible Responsibilities
Assimilation – Assist and provide guidance as needed to assimilation/hospitality team to create opportunities for new members to get engaged and become integrated into the life of the church and established ministries.
Local Mission – Integrate congregational involvement/discipleship through development of strong local mission programs that invite participation and leadership from within the congregation.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lizzy at (609) 259-7289 for more information.
Under the supervision of the Director of Children and Family Ministry, the Children and Family Ministry Assistant [CFMA] provides support to the Children and Family Ministry of APC. The position will help our youngest disciples to grow toward becoming fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ. The CFMA will work primarily with our mid-week ROCK program and Sunday morning Sunday School. The position includes planning, working directly with the children, and working directly with the Director of Children and Family Ministry. The position will require up to 15 hours/week but, with seasonal fluctuations in the program, some weeks will require more time and some will require less.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
R.O.C.K.: ROCK, the 2 ½ hour mid-week program for children in 3rd through 5th grade, includes times of games, Bible study, crafts, dinner, and Choir or Caring Kids time. The Children and Family Ministry Assistant will assist with overall Session planning, coordinate the Bible study component, and plan and execute the Caring Kids (service) weekly component.
- Initiate session planning with Director
- Host / Co-host weekly program gathering **
- Lead / Coordinate Leaders for weekly Bible study
- Plan / Execute Caring Kids weekly program**
- Plan kid-appropriate “Caring” activities (local, global)
- Coordinate / Develop volunteers
- Develop a process for personal Kid-Connections and Family Outreach
- Program hours: 5 – 7 hours per week for prep and execution
SUNDAY SCHOOL: The APC elementary Sunday School ministers to children in Pre-K (4 yrs old) through 5th Grade.
- Assist the Director with curriculum review/assessment
- Assist Director on Sunday mornings
- Lead / Participate in Large Group openings
- Develop a process for personal Kid-Connections and Family Outreach
- Program hours: 2-3 hours weekly, prep and execution
WORSHIP: Give Children’s Messages twice per month (or as needed)
- 4 hrs per month
MEETINGS: Meet bi-weekly with Director for Planning / Visioning
- 2 hrs bi-weekly
VBS: Vacation Bible School
- Manage the volunteer recruitment process for VBS
- Assist Director, as needed
- Complete administrative assignments on an as needed basis.
- Participate in Children and Family events (such as, FFG, Advent Village, ROCK musical, Church picnic, Trenton Thunder game, etc.)
- Committed follower of Jesus
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in education or work with children
- Strong skills with organization and interaction with children and their families
- Experience in religious education
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or call Maureen at (609) 259-7289 for more information.
Hourly Salary: Negotiable
Come be part of a team that seeks to inspire young people into lifelong relationships with Jesus Christ! As the Youth Band/Worship Leader, your focus is to recruit, prepare, develop and direct High school musicians to lead worship for their peers during Crossroads Youth Group on Thursday nights. The position is typically 10 hours per week but is impacted by the rhythm of the youth ministry. For example, retreat weeks often demand more time, other weeks demand less.
Responsibilities: (10 Hours Per Week)
Mondays: (4 hours)
- Meet with the Youth Planning team weekly (1 hour)
- Contact, recruit and develop new musicians to be part of the band.
- Maintain communication and build community with the band members.
- Plan songs, prepare charts/music, create slideshows (keynote/ProPresenter).
- Coordinate and lead technical teams
- Manage equipment setup before rehearsal.
- Lead 1.5-2 hour rehearsal.
- Lead equipment breakdown after rehearsal.
- Close up Crossroads when necessary.
Thursdays: (4 hours)
- Practice with the band before youth group.
- Lead high energy music alongside “Jam Band” to kickoff the night
- Lead an intentional time of praise and worship with the band
- End the night hanging and jamming with students (when appropriate)
Flex Time: (2 hours)
- Prepare for retreats 2x per year.
- “Tutor” students who require extra musical help.
- Connect with prospective students throughout the week.
- Prepare for and lead in “big church” a few times a year.
- Help Coordinate 2 Fundraisers per year. (Coffeehouse For A Cause – battle of the bands type fundraising event)
Qualifications: Must love God, have musical gifts and have experience leading a band (worship bands preferred). All candidates are subject to pass the criminal background check.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Karen at (609) 273-4860 for more information. Thanks so much for your interest!