We are an historic church with a youthful spirit: Our future is as important as our past.
In 2020 we will be celebrating our 300th anniversary! Check out our page for more info.
Our history begins in Scotland where a band of Presbyterians were imprisoned in Dunnottar Castle for refusing to pledge allegiance to the Church of England. They were banished to slavery aboard the ship “The Henry and Francis” bound for the West Indies. The ship was blown ashore on the coast of Monmouth County in December of 1685. These brave Presbyterians founded Old Scots Presbyterian Church at Free Hill, now known as Old Tennett Church.
Some of these faithful Presbyterians or their children moved west and lived among the Quakers here in Allens Town. They worshiped in homes until they were able to call their first pastor, the Reverend John Walton, in the year 1720. Their first meeting house was built on what is now Lakeview Drive across the pond from our present home. A small cemetery remains there today. In 1744, they were able to purchase our present site on High Street and the first meeting house was built on the site in 1756. This was used for worship for 80 years until it became too small and in need of many repairs. The meeting house was torn down and the present Church built on the same site in 1837.
Over its nearly 300 years, the church campus has grown considerably to include Schulte Hall (a large fellowship hall), an education/administration building which also houses Little Tree preschool, and Crossroads youth center.
While the congregation grew slowly and steadily throughout its history, it is now enjoying unprecedented growth. There are now more than 600 members of APC, and more than 300 people attending worship at our two worship services each Sunday.
Since its founding, the church has been served by only 19 installed senior pastors, several of whom served for more than 30 years. To celebrate our 250th anniversary, we published a book on our church history, and copies are available in the church office, the Cornell House. We are looking forward to celebrating our 300th anniversary in 2020.